Healthy Breakfast Ideas On the Go
Breakfast – it is the most important meal of the day, and not the one to be skipped.
It stimulates your metabolism, readies you to take on the day and helps you concentrate. According to Live Science, studies have shown that eating a healthy breakfast can lower your risk for type 2 diabetes and heart disease, help to maintain a healthy weight and improve cognitive function.
You are busy, busy, busy – you’ve got to get to work, get the kids off to school, get to that volunteer meeting or morning exercise class, so what’s the best quick morning breakfast? It’s good to combine a mix of lean protein to keep you fuller longer and maintain muscle, good carbohydrates to fuel your body and fruit to help work toward the five to nine servings a day of fruits and vegetables that experts say you need.
Here’s a list of some breakfast foods that are easy to make and can be combined for a mix of protein, carbohydrates and fiber:
- Berry and Citrus Fruits: strawberry, raspberries, blueberries, grapefruit – a great source of antioxidants, vitamins and fiber; eat them alone or mix them into yogurt or on cereal
- Bananas: a great source of potassium, fiber, protein and vitamins; like berries, they are great in yogurt or on cereal, or sliced on toast with almond butter
- Avocado: a great source of potassium, healthy fat, protein and fiber; slice and eat them on toast
- Almond Butter: a great source of protein, fiber and healthy fats; great alternative spread
- Almonds: similar to benefits of almond butter; great on oatmeal and in yogurt
- Whole Grain Bread or Toast: great source of protein, fiber, vitamins and healthy carbohydrates; easy to add to any of the other foods on the list
- Eggs: good protein and vitamins source
- Cheese: a good source of protein, vitamins and fat; in limited quantities on toast or with fruit
- Oatmeal: another whole grain that is packed with antioxidants, fiber and healthy carbohydrates; watch out for some of the packets that can contain too much sugar
- Yogurt: the low-fat variety, a good source of protein, calcium, potassium and vitamins; mix in some fruit!
For more information on healthy breakfast information and ideas, visit: