How To Reduce Wrinkles Naturally
Wrinkles are inevitable as we age, but that doesn't mean you can't reduce the appearance of wrinkles on your face and slow the process down. Many of the recommended techniques are things you can do naturally as part of your lifestyle and through a skincare routine. It doesn't have to include invasive or expensive treatments. If you are seeking ways to naturally reduce wrinkles, there are many practices you can put in place immediately to improve your skin.
10 Wrinkle Reducing Tips
1. Wear sunscreen – you’ve no doubt heard this one before, but it is the most critical thing you can do every day. All the experts agree – sunscreen is your first line of defense. Most recommend an SPF of 30. Wear sunscreen whether you are headed out for a full day of outdoor activities or going to the office. Read our article on sunscreen best practices.
2. Stop smoking – yes you know it is bad for your overall health, but did you know that smoking accelerates aging in the skin? According to Health.com,
“Cigarette smoke contains carbon monoxide, which displaces the oxygen in your skin, and nicotine, which reduces blood flow, leaving skin dry and discolored. Cigarette smoking also depletes many nutrients, including vitamin C, which helps protect and repair skin damage.”
3. Wash your face every night – yes, we’ve said it before, this is one of the most straightforward practices you can start right away. Leaving old makeup and dirt on your skin when you sleep causes the skin to hold onto free radicals (molecules caused by pollution or stress) which causes the breakdown of collagen resulting in wrinkles. Dirt and makeup also clog your pores causing breakouts. It is essential to wash your face each night with a gentle cleanser that won’t dry out your skin.
4. Get enough sleep – the adage about beauty sleep is real. A study by the British Association of Dermatologists showed that a continual lack of sleep is associated with increased signs of aging in the skin; it also showed a decrease in skin’s barrier function (used to keep moisture in and irritants out). Skin rejuvenates while you sleep so strive to get 7 to 9 hours a night. Read our article on beauty sleep.
5. Sleep on your back – sleeping on your side or stomach can cause what is known as "sleep lines." According to Dermstore and dermatologist Kachiu Lee, MD,
“These lines often appear in parallel along the temples, around the eyes, the lateral cheek area and around the mouth…people who have been sleeping on the same side for years often have noticeably more ‘sleep lines’ on the side that they sleep on.”
Instead, try sleeping on your back to keep skin smooth.
6. Eat plenty of anti-oxidants – this means lots of fruits and veggies packed with anti-oxidants which help to reduce free radicals that cause the breakdown of collagen resulting in wrinkles. Anti-oxidants such as Vitamin C are also known to reduce the melanin pigmentation in the age spots, or Vitamin A which in addition to wrinkle reduction is known to reduce inflammation and acne in the skin. Read our article on anti-oxidants for more on the various fruit and vegetable sources.
7. Stay hydrated – Skin is an organ, and just like your internal organs, it needs to stay properly hydrated to function correctly. According to netdoctor.com and Dr. Justine Hextall, dermatologist,
"If we're dehydrated this will show on the skin, turning it dry, tight and flaky," she says. "So if skin is naturally dry and sensitive, it is particularly important to try and keep it as hydrated as possible. When skin is inflamed, has eczema or psoriasis, transepidermal water loss is increased. For those with very severe and widespread inflammatory skin conditions, water loss is a real issue and fluid intake should be carefully monitored."
Experts recommend eight glasses of water a day. For added flavor and a boost of vitamin C wrinkle and dark spot fighting anti-oxidants, add fresh lemon.
8. Use skincare with natural and safe ingredients – natural ingredients have come a long way in skincare. Science has identified what works to reduce wrinkles or firm sagging skin. This doesn’t mean you have to purchase 100% natural, but you should seek a product with a “clean” formula (uses a combination of natural ingredients and safe synthetic ones) a good source for ingredients to stay away from can be found on our “standards” page. Zosia skincare follows the strictest ingredient standards and uses plant stem cells, the latest in natural plant ingredients. We recently launched our first product, a powerful serum formulated to reduce the four major signs of aging. Visit Power Boost Serum for more.
9. Exfoliate at least weekly – as we age, the natural process of shedding old skin to reveal the new radiant skin below slows way down. This results in dull, dry and flaky skin. You should use a gentle exfoliator a couple of times a week. Read our "how to" on exfoliation for 40+ skin.
10. Treat your skin weekly – to boost your skin and target specific concerns such as reducing wrinkles apply a mask treatment a couple of times a week. Masks are very popular and now come in all types and forms, including overnight masks used when skin is resting and can work on healing. Check out our mask 101 to help you navigate all of the choices.